If you are interested in advertising a job opportunity on the CAPG website, please contact us at: email@example.com. Members receive complimentary postings on the Job Board as part of CAPG member benefits.
Chief of Police position for the City of Weyburn
Date: November 5, 2019 Location: Weyburn Police Service – City of Weyburn
Established in 1957, the Weyburn Police Service employs an invaluable team of dedicated sworn and civilian members. A cohesive and proud team of individuals ensure the residents of Weyburn receive efficient, professional, and effective frontline and administrative service.
The Weyburn Police Service has an authorized force of 20 officers, 1 approved over strength officer made of 15 Constables, 4 Staff Sergeants, Deputy Police Chief and Police Chief. The Weyburn Police Service also employs casual Prison Guards, Communication/Dispatch Officers, Office Manager, 1 Bylaw Officer and 1 Community Safety Officer.
The Chief of Police is accountable to the Board of Police Commissioners (Board) of the Weyburn Police Service for the day to day management and operations of the service.
- Assume management responsibilities for the overall operation of the department’s services and activities including law enforcement, crime prevention and education/awareness programs;
- Develop and administer the department budget, approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies. Approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary;
- Continually review the department’s performance and effectiveness, formulate programs and/or policies to alleviate deficiencies;
- Direct the development and maintenance of systems, records, and legal documents that provide for the proper evaluation, control and documentation of the police department operations;
- Recruit, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel by providing/coordinating training and career development. Work with employees to correct deficiencies, implement discipline and termination procedures;
- Represent the Weyburn Police Department and maintain a positive working relationship with other departments, the Board, elected officials, media, outside agencies and the Police Union.
- Ensure that laws and ordinances are enforced and that public peace and safety is maintained;
- Work collaboratively with the City of Weyburn’s City Manager, Director of Finance, Human Resources Manager, Public Relations Coordinator and Payroll Clerk for all items that cross over between the organizations such as Finances, WCB, LTD, Payroll, etc.
- Plan for ongoing development, implementation and maintenance of effective, efficient and high-quality services in accordance to an approved Business Plan; and
- All other related duties as assigned by the Board.
- 10 + years’ experience in law enforcement in a role of a Sergeant, Inspector, Deputy Chief or Chief;
- 7 – 10 years of progressive management experience;
- Equivalent to a bachelors degree with a major in criminal justice, police science or related field; and
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Job Status – Permanent full time
- Classification – Out of Scope
- Wage: Negotiable
- Benefits – The City of Weyburn’s benefit packages includes: Dental Coverage, Extended Health Care, Life Insurance, Accidental Death, Disease & Dismemberment, Long Term Disability and a defined contribution Pension Plan through MEPP.
- Application Deadline – The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
To Apply: Please submit your resumes and cover letters directly to Brittaney Hutt, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off your information at City of Weyburn Police Department. The Weyburn Police Service thanks all applicants for their interest in this employment opportunity but only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.