CAPG Governance Summit 2018
WHAT IS BLACK & WHITE and GREY ALL OVER?
A Police Governance Dashboard
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday, November 5, 2018
Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, British Columbia
Join our National Presidents at the 2018 CAPG Governance Summit on Monday, November 5th in Vancouver,BC.
~Join Canadian Police Association (CPA) President, Tom Stamatakis, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police (CACP) President, Chief Constable Adam Palmer, and Canadian Association of Police Governance (CAPG) President, Mary Anne Silverthorn~
The Alignment Imperative
If a car is not aligned, we use excess gas, tire tread and physical energy to stay on the road. Likewise, Police Chief/Board alignment is critical for effective police governance. Learn ideas and tools to make sure you are using the roadmap (strategy) and the vehicle is running smoothly (processes).
Board Members and Police Chiefs often have tools to monitor policing services and strategies but often lack a simple means to continually assess their direct interface. Orientation, strategic and governance development efforts can be short lived unless there are regular check-ins. This very interactive session will develop a Check-in tool for continuous attention to the Police Chief/Board interface as well as alignment with City Councils and the public. The resulting Police Governance Dashboard will be accessible through the CAPG Learning Portal, an exclusive benefit for members.
Join your colleagues in a timely discussion to:
- Confirm need for a Police Governance Dashboard – return on effort
- Create successful Governance expectations – success indicators
- Identify Board/Chief interface topics – ‘real time’ participant challenges
- Discuss of preventive & remedial strategies – take home ideas
The most valuable resource in the room will be your peers. The session will be facilitated by Dr. Gordon McIntosh who has conducted 1,200 sessions on governance, strategy and leadership involving 130,000 elected and appointed leaders throughout Canada and overseas. Gordon will be joined by Rebecca Coad, legal counsel with Lidstone & Company a law firm that focuses exclusively on local government – including police services.
- Police Governance Dashboard for participants and others via CAPG
- Tool Kit to share ideas with colleagues
- Practical strategies to make an immediate leadership difference
- Enhanced network of resource people throughput Canada
Justify Your Attendance
Here are some tips on getting support to attend the CAPG Governance Summit 2018:
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation to your board/commission to share what you learned. That way, many will gain the benefits of your attendance.
- Explain what you plan to get out of attending and how that will benefit your governance body, service or department.
- Share presenter handouts and materials with your colleagues.
- If you are a member of the CAPG you can take advantage of discounted registration.
SAVE THE DATE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2018
Registration & LogisticsOnline Registration - CAPG Members: $400 + HST Online Registration - Non-Members: $550 + HST Mail-In Registration
Includes breakfast, lunch, coffee breaks and & all materials
Location: Westin Bayshore, 1601 Bayshore Drive Vancouver, BC V6G 2V4
*HOTEL REGISTRATION: If you require a room at the Westin Bayshore please fill out the information below and we will add your name to the rooming list and provide you with a confirmation number. The hotel has offered the same low room rate of $155 for the following nights: Saturday, November 3, Sunday November 4, and Monday, November 5, 2018.
Hotel Location: Westin Bayshore, 1601 Bayshore Drive Vancouver, BC V6G 2V4
To reserve your room please fill out the form and send it to CAPG as we will be booking directly with the hotel. To ensure that you receive the special CAPG Governance Summit rate send in your confirmation by SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2018.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Expected Topics for Discussion
Some expected topics to be discussed include (as suggested by Board member nation- wide): Chief performance, Chief/Board role clarity, City Council liaison, strategic direction & results, operational & fiscal oversight, decision making process, public/stakeholder relations, union interaction and policy development.
- WELCOME – President Mary Anne Silverthorn – CAPG President
- SESSION OUTLINE – open systems approach
- INTRODUCTIONS – real time matters facing participants
IDEAL GOVERNANCE (Shared Expectations)
- LEADERSHIP INSIGHTS – Chief Tom Stamatakis – CPA President
- CORE FUNCTIONS FRAMEWORK – strategy, policy, services & systems
- KEY ROLES – Chief, Chairperson and Board/Commission members
- SUCCESS INDICATORS – shared expectations for excellence
Deliverable – Governance Dashboard
SITUATIONAL REALITY (Assessment Tools)
- STRATEGIC INSIGHTS – Chief Adam Palmer – President CAPC
- STRATEGIC CONTEXT – Police Trends and community influences
- BOARD CHECK-IN – what works well & areas for attention
- CHIEF EVALUATION – informal to formal approaches
Deliverable – Strategic Topics (for discussion)
STRATEGIC EXCELLENCE (Practical Action Plans)
- SOLUTION SEEKING – result-oriented problem solving
- STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT – preventive & remedial efforts
- CHANGE MANAGEMENT – influencing others with action plans
Deliverable – Strategic Options
- SUMMARY – session products for sharing
- FEEDBACK – participant takeaways