CAPG Governance Summit 2020
“Legal Issues Impacting Police Governance Bodies”
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2020
HYATT REGENCY TORONTO
Join your peers from across the country for a day of informed presentations and discussion on legal issues impacting police and police governance authorities. Do not miss this innovative opportunity to ensure your board policies, procedures and practices for the effective governance of your police service stand up to the laws governing your authority.
The CAPG Governance Summit will be held on Monday, February 3, 2020, from 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM EST at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Toronto, ON.
- Glenn Christie, Hicks Morley
- Jacques Emond, Emond Harnden
- Jason Wadden, Goodmans
- Facilitator: Heather Spicer, Executive Director, Calgary Police Commission
- Bargaining, Arbitration
- Accountability & transparency
- Administrative decision making
- Board authority – Closed meetings, Conflict of interest
- Complaints (chief / board)
- Board role in litigation
- Privacy legislation
Limited registrations available as this is a one-day event. Please register by Wednesday, January 29, 2020.Online Registration - CAPG Members: $450 + HST Online Registration - Non-Members: $650 + HST Mail-In Registration
Hotel & Accommodations
Hyatt Regency Toronto
370 King Street West
Rate Available: Sunday, February 2 & Monday, February 3
Book before Friday, January 10, 2020 for special rate.
To make your reservations, please click the button below. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Hyatt Regency Toronto at 877-803-7534 or click here to find contact information by Region.
Top Reasons to Attend the CAPG GOVERNANCE SUMMIT
#1 – Education
The CAPG values education as a vehicle that helps drive change. Our mission is to work collaboratively and proactively with members and partners to enhance civilian governance of policing in Canada. We’ve gathered some of the best legal experts for a one day learning experience.The CAPG Governance Summit will provide you with hands-on training and knowledge that explores strategies and measures that can best address your organization’s most pressing legal issues.
#2 – Leadership
With provincial governments reviewing their Police Acts now is the time to help shape the future of police governance in Canada. Be a leader and add your voice to the national conversation.
#3 – Connection
Network with peers and experts and gain new insight into what is happening in the police governance sector across Canada. Your particular situation may be unique, but other communities in Canada face similar or identical challenges. Take advantage of opportunities to meet, learn from, and exchange views with your colleagues from across the country.
Who Should Attend
Members of Municipal Police Boards, Commission, Advisory Committees
- Hear from legal experts on how to create strong policies and procedures for effective police governance in Canada
- Connect with your peers and build your community of practice
- Learn about the key legal issues police governance is facing across the country
Police Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, and Executives
- Gain greater insight on the strengthening role of police governance in Canada
- Understand how to work with police boards/commissions to building policies, procedures and practices that align with Canadian law and create safe and healthy workplaces and safer communities
Government, Policy Makers, and Academics
- Discover what is keeping legal advisors to police governance bodies up at night
- Gain understanding of the key legal issues in police governance at the provincial level
Justify Your Attendance
Here are some tips on getting support to attend the CAPG GOVERNANCE SUMMITS:
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation to your board/commission to share what you learned. That way, many will gain the benefits of your attendance.
- Explain what you plan to get out of attending and how that will benefit your governance body, service or department.
- Share presenter handouts and materials with your colleagues.
- If you are a member of the CAPG you can take advantage of discounted registration.